The Lubbock Centennial 1909-2009 - presented by The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Untitled Document
Home
The AJ Remembers
City's Most Influential People
From the Pages of the A-J
Lubbock Landmarks
Centennial Quiz
A-J Readers Remember
Centennial News
Special Sections
1909-1933
1934-1958
1959-1983
1984-2008
Photo Galleries
Centennial Blog
Centennial Discussion

This week's Dirk West Cartoon



Special Section Print Version

Centennial Kick Off by Spotted The Lubbock Centennial Kick Off Celebration

 

 


City Bank Coliseum
The City Bank Coliseum, located on the Marsha Sharp Freeway on the west side of AT&T Jones Stadium parking lot, was originally called the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum. It was built in 1955 and opened in March 1956. Until the United Spirit Arena opened in 1998, it served as the home of the Texas Tech men’s and women’s basketball teams. The coliseum has also been home to a variety of music concerts, including Reba McIntire, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Brooks & Dunn, Tim McGraw and Elvis Presley. Legendary comedian and actor Bob Hope also performed there. The coliseum has also hosted the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus and was the site of the annual Lubbock Lions Club Pancake Festival for many years. It continues to be the site of the annual ABC Rodeo. The facility has 6,904 permanent seats and room for 1,440 portable floor seats. St. Joseph Catholic Church, 102 N. Ave. P, was founded in 1924 and was the first Catholic church in Lubbock. Lubbock had originally been part of the St. Joseph's parish in Slaton. Bishop Joseph P. Lynch of Dallas purchased two lots on the corner of First Street and Avenue P, then known as Blackstone Ave., for the purpose of building a church to serve the Lubbock area. The Rev. M.G. French served as pastor for both the Slaton and Lubbock St. Joseph's churches. Mr. and Mrs. Bowen, owners of the Merril Hotel, were the church's first parishoners and hosted services for city Catholics in the hotel before the church was built. The church orginally was part of the Diocese of Amarillo, but came under the wing of the Diocese of Lubbock when it was formed in 1984 by Bishop Michael Sheehan. Lubbock's St. Joseph, currently pastored by the Rev. Martin Pina, is a mainstay in the city's Hispanic community, hosting many community events as well as being a worship center. The church, which features architecture in the Gothic style, can seat approximately 400 people for various services, although its membership is approximately 1,400 families.

Previous Lubbock Landmarks


The A-J Remembers The Most Important People in Lubbock's History
 
 


HOME / THE A-J REMEMBERS / CITY'S MOST INFLUENTIAL / THIS DAY IN HISTORY / HISTORICAL LANDMARKS / DID YOU KNOW / READERS REMEMBER / CENTENNIAL NEWS
SPECIAL SECTIONS: 1909-1933 / 1934-1958 / 1959-1983 / 1984-PRESENT | PRINT VERSION
PHOTO GALLERIES / BLOGS / FORUMS
CONTACT THE WEBMASTER

copyright 2008 THE LUBBOCK AVALANCHE-JOURNAL and LUBBOCKONLINE.COM