Chatman Hospital opened in 1945 and was for many years the only hospital serving the African-American population in West Texas.
Dr. J. A. Chatman, the second black doctor in the region, dedicated his life to the improvement of medical facilities for blacks and to better race relations.
Chatman, a civic leader and active in Democratic Party politics, was respected by the entire Lubbock community. Gutted by fire in 1987, the hospital was restored in 1993.
Read the Historical Marker
Previous Lubbock Landmarks