The Isham and Texana Tubbs House, 602 Fulton Ave., is one of the last Queen Anne-style homes in the area.
Isham Tubbs brought lumber from East Texas by rail and wagon in 1907-08 to build the home, basing it on a magazine sketch admired by Texana. The home also had two separate living spaces, providing the extended Tubbs family privacy and shelter under one roof. Isham and Texana moved to the Monterey area of Lubbock County around 1890.
Isham became one of the first school board trustees and the couple were charter members of Lubbock’s First United Methodist Church.
Members of the Tubbs family were still living in the home at the turn of the 21st Century.
Provided by Sara Tubbs McKee:
Isham Tubbs came by freight wagon to the Plains on August 10, 1890. He served on the first grand jury, first school board and helped organize the First Methodist Church. He was the first person to clear and plow land in this area.
He had lumber shipped by rail to Plainview from East Texas. Plainview was the last rail point and the lumber had to behauled by freight wagon to Lubbock from Plainview. He built a 17 room home which still stands west of Lubbock.
This information was taken from the AJ obituary. Mr. Tubbs died September 23, 1947 at the age of 95.
Previous Lubbock Landmarks