Monterey High School, located at 3211 47th St., welcomed its first student body on Sept. 7, 1955 after the Lubbock Independent School District’s superintendent and board of trustees decided in 1952 that the city needed another high school.
The school was named after the town of Monterey, which joined forces with the town of Lubbock to form the current city. At the time of its opening, Monterey actually became Lubbock’s third high school — Dunbar having been previously established as a school for black students. Half of Lubbock High’s student body were then assigned to Monterey. Construction on the new school continued while students attended classes.
In 1961, 32 additional classrooms were added to MHS and a new gym was added in 1993. The original building, containing 213,596 square feet, was built at a cost of $2.5 million.
Previous Lubbock Landmarks