The Lubbock Centennial 1909-2009 - presented by The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Untitled Document
Home
The AJ Remembers
City's Most Influential People
From the Pages of the A-J
Lubbock Landmarks
Centennial Quiz
A-J Readers Remember
Centennial News
Special Sections
1909-1933
1934-1958
1959-1983
1984-2008
Photo Galleries
Centennial Blog
Centennial Discussion

This week's Dirk West Cartoon



Special Section Print Version

Centennial Kick Off by Spotted The Lubbock Centennial Kick Off Celebration

 

 


The Methodist Church in the early 1930's was several stories high and took a square block in downtown Lubbock.

First Christian Church to dedicate buildings

1923 The membership of the First Christian Church are today announcing the services of dedication for their new building which has but recently been completed.

This is a stucco-over-frame structure, Spanish, semi-tabernacle style, located on the site of the old building on Avenue J at Sixteenth Street.

Outwardly the building is indeed a thing of beauty, its lines being most pleasing to the eye, and this attractiveness but prepares one for the greater beauty of the interior.

One enters first into a spacious lobby and meets first the Enrollment Secretary of the Bible School. Above this lobby is the motion picture room which, as yet, a machine has not been installed. A drinking fountain in the lobby furnishes refreshment for the thirsty, and comfortable chairs will permit mothers to listen in comfort to the message.

Entering from the lobby into the auditorium one finds it in the shape of a Maltese Cross, the sides extending out about sixty feet each way, and the arms of the cross being about thirty feet wide. The east arm of the cross is taken up with the choir loft and the pulpit stand, the building being so arranged that any person in the auditorium is able to see the entire platform. The seating arrangement is such that allows for plenty of aisle space, allowing for the seating of about four hundred persons.

In the rear of the auditorium and in the basement, Bible School class rooms, departmental rooms, and a kitchen and dining room are provided, also fuel and boiler rooms for the heating plant. It is planned to heat the building with a steam plant, and a plant sufficiently large will be installed to furnish comfort in the coldest weather.

In the four corners of the building are classrooms, and the Pastor's study, there being an outside entrance to the study from Sixteenth Street, and just at the rear of the pulpit is a large, open Baptistery, flanked on the right and left by convenient robing rooms.

This building is to be dedicated on Sunday, September 30, Rev. J.B. Holmes of Fort Worth, Texas, Secretary of the Texas Christian Missionary Society, being in charge of the services.

The A-J Remembers The Most Important People in Lubbock's History
 
 


HOME / THE A-J REMEMBERS / CITY'S MOST INFLUENTIAL / THIS DAY IN HISTORY / HISTORICAL LANDMARKS / DID YOU KNOW / READERS REMEMBER / CENTENNIAL NEWS
SPECIAL SECTIONS: 1909-1933 / 1934-1958 / 1959-1983 / 1984-PRESENT | PRINT VERSION
PHOTO GALLERIES / BLOGS / FORUMS
CONTACT THE WEBMASTER

copyright 2008 THE LUBBOCK AVALANCHE-JOURNAL and LUBBOCKONLINE.COM