City, county officials approve street lighting
1913 The Avalanche has been able to dig up a nice bunch of good news for our readers this week and in the batch we learn with a considerable degree of pleasure and satisfaction that we shall soon have a greatly improved street lighting system.
At a recent meeting of the commissioners court as well as the city council a contract was entered into by and between the Lubbock Light and Ice Company and the city of Lubbock and Lubbock County whereby the light plant agrees to put up an up-to-date system of street lights.
There will be erected as we understand a line of street lights placed on ornamental iron posts beginning at the depot extending around the square, into the court house yard, and west on Broadway to a point near Judge Spencer's residence, two blocks over in the Overton Addition.
The new arrangement will furnish a much better light and be of great convenience to a much greater number of people sure that it will be properly appreciated by every citizen of the town. Lubbock keeps forging to the front, she never takes a step backward, and for this reason our people have the greatest confidence in her and are at all times ready to back up their faith in the town by putting up money for improvements of various kinds.