The Lubbock Centennial 1909-2009 - presented by The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Untitled Document
Home
The AJ Remembers
City's Most Influential People
From the Pages of the A-J
Lubbock Landmarks
Centennial Quiz
A-J Readers Remember
Centennial News
Special Sections
1909-1933
1934-1958
1959-1983
1984-2008
Photo Galleries
Centennial Blog
Centennial Discussion

This week's Dirk West Cartoon



Special Section Print Version

Centennial Kick Off by Spotted The Lubbock Centennial Kick Off Celebration

 

 


First National Bank moves to new quarters

1955 As doors of the First National Bank at Main and Texas Avenue were closed Saturday, employees and moving men began the task of shifting the bank into new quarters in three floors of the Great Plains Life Insurance Building.

The move brings to a close 54 years of continuous operation of the bank at the Main and Texas Avenue location. It also marks the second move of a bank from the square, the Citizens National Bank having moved from a Broadway and Texas location to its present building in 1950.

The bank will open for business in its new quarters in the Great Plains building Tuesday morning.

The First National Bank dates back to Aug. 5, 1901, when it was established as a private bank and known as the Bank of Lubbock. In April 1902, it was chartered as the First National Bank of Lubbock and since that time has operated under four other charters: Lubbock State Bank, Feb. 14, 1915 to April 14, 1925, First National Bank in Lubbock, April 14, 1925 to June 15, 1934, and since June 15, 1934 as the First National Bank at Lubbock.

New quarters of the bank in the Great Plains building consist of some of the finest banking facilities in the Southwest. It also will include an up-to-date motor bank with four drive-in windows.

The bank's quarters will occupy the basement and the first and second floors, comprising approximately 20,000 square feet of the 20-story insurance company building. The main money vault will be in the basement where the bank's safety deposit vault also will be located along with two commercial teller windows and storage for records and supplies.

The A-J Remembers The Most Important People in Lubbock's History
 
 


HOME / THE A-J REMEMBERS / CITY'S MOST INFLUENTIAL / THIS DAY IN HISTORY / HISTORICAL LANDMARKS / DID YOU KNOW / READERS REMEMBER / CENTENNIAL NEWS
SPECIAL SECTIONS: 1909-1933 / 1934-1958 / 1959-1983 / 1984-PRESENT | PRINT VERSION
PHOTO GALLERIES / BLOGS / FORUMS
CONTACT THE WEBMASTER

copyright 2008 THE LUBBOCK AVALANCHE-JOURNAL and LUBBOCKONLINE.COM