Lubbock's modern identity as a medical hub is the legacy of these two pioneering physicians.
In 1919, they joined a group that established Lubbock Sanitarium. The venture would later become Methodist Hospital and is now Covenant Health System.
Hutchinson was persuaded by an acquaintance to set up practice in Lubbock. He arrived on May 18, 1901.
Upon his arrival in 1919, Krueger bought stock in Lubbock Sanitarium, joining Hutchinson and others.
Krueger was a community supporter with charter membership in the Lubbock Kiwanis Club, Chamber of Commerce and Lubbock Planning Commission. He also served as director of Lubbock National Bank.
Hutchinson also was very active in the community. In 1914, he was elected to the board of trustees for the Lubbock Independent School District. He remained on the board for 35 years, serving 33 years as chairman. LISD named the junior high school, built in 1947, in his honor.
In his writings, Hunt described himself as an ordinary man.
But his role in establishing Lubbock and the continued involvement of his descendants in the community bring him to the forefront.
On Nov. 5, 1884, Hunt and his family left Sterling, Kan., leading a party of 14 in three two-horse wagons and a buggy. On Dec. 6, 1884, they reached their destination, the settlement of Estacado. Hunt built and operated a boarding house and small grocery store.
When Frank Wheelock built the Nicolett Hotel in Monterey on the north side of Yellowhouse Canyon, he persuaded Hunt to manage the hotel.
Hunt was a keen observer and prolific writer, producing one of the best chronicles of developing Lubbock.
Once the county government was operating, a school district was established embracing the whole county. Hunt was named one of the three trustees.